Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Let me reintroduce: Rick and Morty.

My primary problem with fiction in general, and the reason I like re reading Douglas Adams every year after my Austen binge, is I always feel rules are forced when they don't need to exist at all. It's fiction for goodness sake. This is why, when my hipster boyfriend introduced me to a relam of completely inane and stupid cartoons I jumped on them and loved them in a way I never anticipated, given that I studied Latin and Middle English and French Theatre. What I'm saying, lovely human reading my words is that you might find you really like these despite being a grown up sensible person.


In an alternate universe I am a heavily tattooed Bettie Page lookalike who owns a cinema. Every Thursday morning I show adult cartoons and a stupid but generally awesome collection of late night TV shows for people who, like me, enjoy switching almost every part of their brain and personality off and indulging in the ridiculous. I'm aware a lot of my audience will be pot smoking teens and twenty somethings but my hope is that some adults longing for a couple of hours of freedom from the policy analysing that was meant to be a gateway job and has slowly taken over their lives will trudge in, wearing their black, fake, and ugly Prada shoes, cast off their rain jacket and enjoy pretending they don't have better things to do.


Welcome to my Thursday morning theatre. Today you'll be binge watching...





This is a Dan Harmon/Justin Roiland creation. That's basically one of the greatest TV writers and one of the most interesting voice actors coming together. These are young un's who grew up with eons of established TV and pop culture to draw from. As a result they've developed a winning formula for nerds of any generation albeit one that can get really silly at times. 




 (That's them. That's what they look like. Harmon's the sexy one.)

The vibe is that of the best of those shitty eighties movies (hello Weird Science) with the best of the cartoons of the nineties. As a serious person- I realise I'm losing you here. You're comfortable with The Simpsons... you'll maybe stretch to Futurama but this might be a step too far. Ah but don't pretend you don't have a really good sense of humour. I'm well aware there are those of you out there walking round offices telling your collegues you are FIVE SPICE 




One of the best things about Rick and Morty is its insane lack of rules. It doesn't force you to get annoyed at the lack of logic behind certain episodes because of it's 'doye of course that's highly problematic; that's the thing about science- it's really freaking complicated' attitude. I mean, I'm a Dr Who fan from way back but the liberal use of deus ex machina in that show drives people up the wall. I think this plagues all serious television, no matter how brilliant it can be on occasion. In Rick and Morty, any critque of like 'Um that doesn't work' is basically addressed in the show. 'We know this doesn't work just bloody enjoy the aweome space travel ffs'




The characters are, as you'd expect from the guy who created Community, just short of steroptypes but they are engaging none the less. We follow the eponymous grandpa and grandson team as they travel across universes for adventures. The parents of Morty are in a classic hot unfullfilled mum/deadbeat dad relationship but it's not as awful as that sounds. You feel like every episode they sort of learn a lesson but it doesnt one hundred per cent sink in- like the perfect balance of an after school special and It's always Sunny in Philidelphia.



This is all on youtube so you don't have to fuck around with finding a streaming link. You also don't have to flip through TV guides and endless channels on the off chance it might actually screen somewhere. The show deals with some pretty serious shit so don't watch it with your kids ffs. They're too little to realise how freakin hilarious destroying the world, smashing up frozen bullies, and incepting sexy pleasure dream chambers is. Also; you might be too mature. But probably you're not, and I'm sort of judging you for your lack of respect for the genre you if you are.  



Aight. Here's the link. 


Next week we review The Regular Show. Yep thats a kids show but you will enoy it for the same reasons you enjoy the above. We will NOT be watching Adventure Time. We're grown ups for heavens sake. 

Ciao, 
M

No comments:

Post a Comment